Work experience at the Redoubt



By Ebo
(Work Experience student, Causeway School)

I have been placed in the Redoubt Fortress for my work experience. It wasn’t my first choice but I thought it would be interesting. On my first day I got introduced to the Curator Sarah, after that I got to go on a tour with Marianne. I didn’t know much about this place when I came and now I know so much.

After my tour I learnt how to handle objects with Sarah and then I did the humidity readings around the building.  After we cleared water from the dehumidifiers I checked the temperatures for the building with Nigel.

On my second day here I did the humidity and temperature checks again and then went on 2 tours with Peter the volunteer tour guide. Nigel and I had to mop the floors because it was raining and the rain had got into the building.  We checked around the building to see if the water had leaked anywhere; each room is called a casemate and we checked all the casemates.

Afterwards Nigel and I went to the Armoury and I held some swords, anti-tank rifles and sub-machine guns.
Holding a sword!
Larry, Nigel and I changed a light bulb in one of the cases as it was very dull and dim. Finally I cleaned a horse hoof and a bandoleer with Nigel; I had to be delicate and careful as I didn’t want to damage this old object.
Cleaning a horse's hoof

Cleaning a water bottle
On my third day I went to the Town Hall with Jo and Katherine and scanned old photographs of the Redoubt Fortress.  After I scanned them I put them in a folder and after that I categorised old Eastbourne books from the oldest to the earliest.  I didn’t find this as interesting as working in the Redoubt.

On my forth day I helped Neil get all the electrical equipment in one room because PAT test engineers were coming in to test them. I hoisted the Regimental flags before the museum opened and then we opened the two big gates. I went with Nigel and cleaned a sword, a pistol and a few rifles.
Sword cleaning

Sword cleaning

After I cleaned the swords and guns I went with Kasey and packed some objects in the store. Randomly we opened a box and found a shark’s skull! It was really strange but it was really interesting, we also opened a box with loads of bayonets.

Pistol cleaning




For the time I have been here I have really enjoyed my time at the Redoubt Fortress, all the staff were very kind and helpful.


See more photographs below of my time at the Redoubt.















Comments